A LAYMAN'S VIEW OF CP/M ON THE 128 AUTHOR: ROBERT EARNHEART FROM: MEMPHIS COMMODORE USERS CLUB WHAT DO YOU NEED? The basic requirements for CP/M 3.0 are a C-128 with a 1541 disk drive and a 40 column monitor (a T.V. will do). This will get you by but to go first class you need a C-128, 2 1571 disk drives, 1902 monitor (80 column, RGB), and a letter -quality printer. Of course you can go up[-town and add a 1750 ram -expansion module (see Broadus's article) and at some time add a hard -disk drive but to go that route is really not the scope of this article. What I want to do is take you from the bottom to the realistic top and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each. 1541 -1571 Sure the 1541 will read the systems disk that comes with the 3.0 version but thats all it will read.The 1541 can only read single[-sided GCR disks with the speed of operations about one[-eighth to one[-tenth that of the 1571. The 1571 can also read MFM formats, as well as GCR formats, which means that it can read other CP/M disk formats such as : Epson QX10 IBM[-8 SS (CP/M 86) IBM[-8 DS (CP/M 86) Kaypro II Kaypro IV Osbore DD To myself, the the path is clear as to the 1541 or the 1571 for cp/p use. The 1571 opens up our computer world for more speed as well as programs. (1)1571 Let me make this clear, that you can get by with one drive with CP/M but two drives is like running along side the car verses riding inside. There is just so many advantages that one would have to try both modes to understand totally the difference. One outstanding advantage is copying. With the single disk drive you are always changing disks from source to destination. That in its self is a major reason for two drives instead of one. Here is an idea to think about. If you are up[-grading to a C[-128 from a C[-64 can I use the 1541 as my second drive? Yes you can, but remember that the 1541 will only read single[-sided GCR formats so you will be limited. Let me say that this combinations works rather well but is slow. Composite Monitor(40 column)-1701,1702 RGBI Monitor(80 column) Dual Monitor(40 or 80 column) -1902,1902a First of all we need to answer these questions, Why all the fuss over 40 or 80 column and what difference does it make? The answer to the first questions is that most CP/M programs utilize 80[-column screens so the difference it makes is that on an 40 column screen you will have to scroll over to be able to see the other 40 columns. So now what can I do? I've got 40 a column monitor that works very well with everything I've got except CP/M.Ok, here are your options: 1) you can stay with your 40 column monitor (composite) and scroll over. 2) you can go with a 80 column monchrome monitor and use it with your composite monitor( remember monchrome is single color). 3) you can use a RGB monitor (RGB is either single color or multiple colors but one problem with this monitor is that it will not support the 64 mode). 4) last and the best, is to use a dual monitor such as the 1902 (hint, hint). (It might be noted that you can use a monchrome output to a composite monitor for a 80 column screen and believe it or not this does not work too bad). THE DECISION IS YOURS So there are your options. The direction is up to you but no matter what path you take, believe me, its a lot of good computer fun getting there!