128 Editorial by Bob Nunn For MCUC Magazine The rumor mill has it that Commodore would like to drop the 128D. I don't take to rumors too much but this one may makes good business sense. If it really does cost Commodore more to produce a 128 than the Amiga 500 and Commodore is looking at dropping the price of the Amiga it might mean that the Amiga was actually cheaper than the 128. That would be perceived as bad by dealers and some less intelligent consumers. Now most of you realize that Commodore doesn't have the dealer loyalty that it once had thanks to the C-16 and the Plus 4. I'm sure most dealers would think that the 128 would be dead wood if the Amiga's price was lower. Many consumers would be fooled by this unless they previously owned a 64 or what amounted to a brain. One of the cheapest things you buy is the computer itself most of the time. Check out the price tags and titles on the Amiga stuff and you will quickly realize that besides your initial investment you will need to spend a substantial amount to replace your software or just to get basic software in the first place. Of course the best software uses more than the stock ram. Unless you like the speed of the 1541 then the drive built into the Amiga will drive you crazy. Nuts you SAY?? Well time yourself with all the disk swaps involved and see if all that time you saved with the speedy drive is eaten up by taking disks in and out. So you invest in an additional drive or if you are bucks up, a hard drive. Still, those amazing graphics, desk top publishing, super games, the Amiga is still a very attractive machine and lowering the price sure wouldn't hurt it. So Commodore hastens the death of the 128 by knocking out the 1571, and just plain letting it go. They also killed the only 1571 compatible on the market, the Excel 2001. Yet, they didn't touch the C-64 drives. I'm fairly certain that the 128 will eventually be discontinued. So what can we do?, you might ask. Well, here is one alternative. A fellow by the name of Loren Lovhaug has an idea. He wants to form a company to provide aftermarket support for the 128. Anyone having seen a publication called Twin Cities 128 knows that he has dedicated himself to support the machine. I support his efforts. If you feel the same way that I do see me at the meeting. Perhaps we can organize a petition to Commodore corporate leadership. Wouldn't it be a kick to see a new line of peripherals or perhaps an improved 128? I think I might faint to see quality information coming out from the manufacturer. I can see it now: a big blazing ad in the Computer Mags announcing the ALL NEW 128!! The following are excerpts from an article by Loren Lovhaug titled "I Have A Dream" which appeared in Issue 23 the THE TWIN CITIES 128 Magazine. It was reprinted in the AVCUG Newsletter. My dream...involves an emancipation of sorts...the emancipation of which I speak involves the "freeing" of the Commodore 128 from Commodore. I want to engineer a method by which Commodore can "bow out" of the C-128 gracefully. Notice, I did not say a method by which Commodore can kill the 128 nor did I imply abandon C-128 owners, instead I carefully used the words "bow out" and "gracefully" to suggest otherwise. Here is what I have in mind: Commodore should help me form a company to provide after market support for the 128. (Consider this scenario.) The support corporation is the only authorized liquidator of these machines. The support company sells these machines alone or in various attractively priced system packages. Bundled with each computer are four first class application programs, a two month subscription to a C-128 bi-weekly (yes, bi-weekly) newsletter, a Q-Link disk, and an extensive catalog of Commodore, in house, and third party software products marketed by the support company. In addition the company has signed many local Commodore dealerships to handle its products. The company also has a customer support section on Q-Link, Genie and Compuserve. Commodore showcases the 128 support company as evidence that is is committed to long term support of its products. As time marches on, new and long term 128 owners have few regrets about their 128 purchase, and as their needs and technology evolve they naturally consider a Commdore product. I hope I have tantalized you with these prospects. I want to make it clear that at this point, this whole concept is nothing more than an idea. I am however exploring it sincerely. However, please DO NOT send us contributions to finance such an endeavor. I don't want to start a charity or religion. However, you can help by popularizing this notion. Permission is hereby granted to reprint this proposal (and only this proposal). I urge you to place it in user group newsletters, on local bulletin boards, and on national telecommunications networks. Show it to your friends and to local Commodore retailers. And above all, please ask Commodore to adopt this idea, or at least to consider it seriously. The key players you should contact are: Irving Gould Harold Copperman David Klein Richard Mactyre Julei Bauer Brian MacDonald Jim Garcely You can write them at: Commodore Business Machines, 1200 Wilson Drive, West Chester, PA 19380. As the old song says: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you get what you need!" For those of you that are interested, Twin Cities 128 is available by Subscription. Send $22.00 in Check or Money Order for one year (12 issues) to: Twin Cities 128 Hewitt Avenue Suite #4 Saint Paul, MN 55104 Note from Bob: I think this idea merits support. Apple did this successfully with the Lisa with a company called Sun Remarketing. If Apple could do it, I see no reason why Commodore couldn't. Show your support of the 128 by writing to the above listed people, outlining this proposal and expressing your support for the idea or see me and we'll consider a petition to corporate CBM. The alternative to this proposal would see the 128 and its peripherals "dumped" on the market by liquidators who cannot provide the support and technical assistance that may be needed. The public relations image of Commodore would be seriously damaged by a move like this. Commodore would not only hurt themselves in the eyes of new buyers, but in the eyes of current owners, as well, who would seriously think twice before upgrading with another Commodore product. PS this text is dated and officers at Commodore have changed as well as Twin Cities Operations. I would check with Twin Cities before sending money, they may no longer be around.